Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Define Sexy

Over the weekend I was hanging out with some friends and somehow the topic of "sexy" came up, go figure. It was kind of interesting to hear everyone's opinions on what they felt defined sexy from both the male and female perspective. Last night the Victoria's Secret fashion show was brought into the living rooms of millions of homes and since then I can't help but ponder the topic once again...How do you define sexy? So because of that and because the other day there was some discussion here on my blog about beauty being more than skin deep and that sex appeal comes from within more than outside appearance, I decided this post needed to be made. By official definition, at least according to Websters, sexy is defined as: Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest, Highly appealing or interesting, attractive. So it's not a bad definition, but I feel it's a bit generic and doesn't define the word the way real men and women do.

Sexy is a matter of opinion, of personal taste. There are no rules, only preferences. Everyone may share some general common grounds in what defines sexy, but what one person finds highly attractive, another may not. Just like all people are different, the definition of sexy is different and the meaning varies depending on who you ask. Of course I think you may be surprised to know that some of the same things women find sexy in men, men also find sexy in women - take for example eyes. At least according to my friends, both the guys and the girls rank eyes up there as one of the things they find the most sexy in the opposite sex. Sexy is a matter of personality and confidence. Sexy is also a matter of heart.

To me, sexy is a woman who is confident. Sexy is a woman who can open up and express herself. Sexy is a woman who can throw caution to the wind and live on the edge. Sexy is a woman who's shear presence can light up a room and make people take notice. It's not just her looks, it's something inside her that shines thru. It's the way her eyes sparkle and her smile is big, warm and inviting. The way her laugh makes you want to laugh with her and how her touch makes you not want to let go. That to me, along with a few other things, is sexy. Would she find it sexy the way I speak of her to those around me? How I treat her when nobody else is looking. How I always think of her when she isn't around. I don't know, but perhaps women see something sexy in me. Some things that I am oblivious to. Things that I don't know are a part of me. The little things I say or do that comes out naturally without much thought or effort. Something within me that shines thru. I think we may all hold some degree of "sexy", however what it is may be a mystery to us.

True beauty and attractiveness really does come from within, but we do not acknowledge this truth deeply enough, nor do we allow this truth to permeate our actions enough. Maybe we should blame society for cramming down on throats images of women from a Victoria's Secret catalog and saying "that is sexy", there is your definition of sexy. Let's be real though, most women don't look like my all-time favorite VS model Alessandra Ambrosio (pictured above). A genuinely nice person who is average-looking is far more attractive than a person with stunning physical beauty, who has no inner fire. Sexiness needs to be more than meets the eye, because what meets the eye will fade over time where as personality does not. If there is no depth of heart and personality to give substance to outer beauty, attraction will die. I've always said that a beautiful woman may attract me initially, but it's her personality that will make me stick around and hold my interest. Like most men and even most women, sure I am attracted with my eyes, but I don't fall in love that way. It has to come from the heart and if the girl has little to offer on the inside, well then I will get bored pretty fast and I can guarantee I won't develop feelings for her based on her good looks alone. I think we have all gone out on a date with someone who we find incredibly good looking, but then when it comes to conversation or that spark, it's blah. That to me is a deal breaker and not my definition of sexy.

The most beautiful people in the world are the ones with whom you can talk deeply with, discuss honestly, laugh about life, share common interests and in short, develop lasting bonds of friendship and relationship that go beyond superficialities. Personality does not leave as much to opinion as physical preferences do. It is said that beauty should not come from what you wear. Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth. Sexy can be defined as what you personally find attractive and at the same time, sexy is something that defies explanation. It's hard to put your finger on "sexy" and pinpoint it, but I know it when I see it. Even if I can't explain it in words, she will feel it in every way I express it. From the way I talk to her, from the way I look at her, from the way I kiss her. She will know she is my definition of sexy.

***UPDATE***
EXSENO asked..."I know why women like pretty, sexy underwear and nighties, it makes us feel good to wear something pretty even if no one else can see them. But what about men, the minute they see you wearing them they want to help remove them, so why do they like to see you in them at all?"

I can answer that question for you. You said women like to wear those things because they feel pretty and sexy in them right? Well think about it, it's the exact same reason men like women to wear them, because you look pretty and sexy in them. Also when a woman looks good, she feels confident and confidence is sexy...well at least to me it is. Now to answer your second question as to why the minute we see women wearing that stuff we want to help remove the lingerie...well come on now, you know the reason to that right? As a woman you are feeling all pretty and sexy. As a guy we recognize that you feel confident and good about yourself. With that in mind and the fact that we find it very attractive how you are dressed, of course it's a huge turn-on to us. Then when a guy is turned on, it's only natural that having sex comes to mind. So that is why we love lingerie. To be perfectly honest, if a guy needs his girlfriend or wife to put on lingerie to "get him in the mood", then there is problem. Do we like lingerie? Of course, but if I am with a woman, chances are I am attracted to her enough that I wouldn't need her to get dressed up to get me in the mood. However it's fun and if it makes her feel good doing so, then by all means, on with the thong! Just understand that it will be coming off shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment