Tuesday, September 27, 2005

This 'Aint Your Granny's Flowered Wallpaper

You know how you have that one Grandma who has the tackiest taste the world has ever seen? As a kid, that mix of bright orange and brown and every other color in the rainbow combined in her house makes you say...."wow, cool!" It's not until many years later when you visit Granny that you think..."sweet Jesus, what was the old woman smoking when she decorated!" It's like a jumbo box of Crayola crayons just threw up. It's all psychedelic, but not in that funky Bob Marley kind of way. It's more like Jesus Christ himself met some Oompa Loompas and crossed interior design ideas on a TLC home makeover show. Then throw in some doilies randomly scattered about, plus one Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry painting and you have yourself virtually standing in my Grandma's living room - no joke. I'm not even sure what decade her decorations were stuck in - 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's? Alright, so maybe you don't have a Granny like that, but I did.


click on thumbnails to enlarge

She has since passed away, but her spirit lives on as being a real character. She was the funniest woman I have ever met, hands down. Everyone always says I get my sense of humor from my Dad, but I also think some of it had to come from her. One thing that I do regret doing is taking her flowers as a kid when I would go to visit. Back then when we brought her a present for Christmas or her birthday, my Mom would usually pick it out and say it was from "the kids". I guess most families are like that given the fact that an 8-year-old boy doesn't necessarily have the largest bank account to be splurging with. However, if I knew then what I know now, it wouldn't of cost me a cent to "brighten up" Granny's house even more than it already was. I'm talking about flowers! What women doesn't love getting them? They are cheerful, bright and full of life (well at least for a few days they are).

Flowers don't always have to be store bought, some of the best are hand picked. Even if the flower doesn't look perfect to give, you can always be creative like me and just use the pedals to add a little extra touch. It shows special effort to take the time selecting a flower for someone. I think women appreciate that more than walking into a store or calling up a florist and saying "uh, a dozen of those red things". I have a huge rose bush in my backyard. Although with the fall season fast on it's way, slowly but surely those roses will be calling it quits until next year arrives. Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't lots of other great flowers around still in bloom. Depending on where you live, you may have to go back to the store pre-packaged ones, but I'm sure it will bring a smile to someone's face just (I mean "almost") the same.

So what about your desktop? Don't neglect it! How about some pretty flowers that NEVER die (not the nasty artificial ones either)? You need something that will cheer you up and throw a little happy into your day. These are a little girly, but for the woman readers of mine, here are a few flowered wallpapers to choose from. It may not exactly be my Grandma's taste when it comes to using flowered wallpaper in her house, but you can give your computer a clean, modern, tack-free new look by displaying one. Unlike my Grandma's house, these wallpapers are just pure/good eye candy. They are all high resolution 1600x1200 images that are splashed with lots of color...just the way Grandma would of wanted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment