Sunday, November 20, 2005

Girl Earns $5,000 From Speedy Text Messaging Fingers

Old western movies usually take place in the west, obviously. However the fastest hands aren't from the west, they are from the east - in Ohio in fact. An Ohio girl won $5,000 this week by typing out a 160-character text message on a cell phone in 2 minutes, 23 seconds. Troy Field, age 17, had hoped to set a world record with her flying fingers, but fell short of the goal set by competition sponsor Alltel. A woman in Singapore holds the record at 43 seconds. For the competition, the five finalists in the contest had to tap out: The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human.

Now I consider myself to have a pretty decent typing speed, but that's on a regular keyboard. Have you ever tried typing on a cell phone? It's not easy if you ask me. The buttons are small, flat and too close together. I find texting on my phone to be a pain in the ass...I mean a pain in the fingers. I have to hand it to this teenager for typing as fast as she did. I guess when you are that age and you walk thru the mall with your head down glued to your cell phone texting your pal back and forth, you tend to brush up on your skills quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment