Sunday, April 3, 2005

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

If you are into video games at all, more than likely you have heard of the Tom Clancey's Splinter Cell series. First there was "Splinter Cell", then "Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow" and now the 3rd title "Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory" which was just released days ago.


So what is a Splinter Cell? It is when intelligence deemed critical to national security can not be obtained by traditional means. Third Echelon (a subagency of the NSA, an elite team of strategists, hackers and field operatives who collect intelligence to anticipate and respond to crises of information warfare) is granted clearance to conduct physical operations. Its existence denied by the U.S. government, Third Echelon deploys units known as Splinter Cells (elite intelligence-gathering forces consisting of a lone field operative supported by a remote team). Like a sliver of glass, a Splinter Cell is small, sharp and nearly invisible. Your job in the game is to play a Splinter Cell named Sam Fisher who has to fight cyberterrorism/information warfare. Basically, my dream job!

To put it bluntly, this game kicks ass! It is super addicting, very realistic and just a blast to play. You will constantly be challenged to think like an OPSEC. Believe it or not, after playing this game, you will find yourself in your real life looking over your shoulder - thinking you are being followed, hiding in the shadows and entering and exiting areas in stealth mode. You may even be tempted to pull out your gun and snipe a passer-by or two. Crazy huh? Trust me, I'm not the only one who got this weird feeling after playing the game.

I'm not a HUGE gamer, but I do like my PS2 and I will play it from time to time. I never really got into the online computer games. I rather use my PC for other things and stick with the TV to do my gaming. I'm also not into games that you have to complete levels in order to continue like Splinter Cell, but even this game has me hooked. Most of the time I stick to fighting, racing or sports games. So even if you are not into video games or into the level games, I really think you will enjoy Splinter Cell. It's available on the PC, XBOX and PS2. I am going to pick up my PS2 copy this weekend and try it out. I promise to tear myself away from it for fresh air. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment