Sunday, June 19, 2005

Father's Day Tribute To The Old Man

Today is Father's Day and that means Dads around the world (I think it's a worldwide holiday) will be getting praised, thanked and rewarded. It only comes once a year, but it's time to pay tribute to the old man for all the hard work he has done in helping raise us thru childhood and even into our adult years. Of course if you are one of those worthless deadbeat Dads, this day only means that you will be despised and spit on even more than usual...but then again I feel you are use to it and you don't really care anyways. Like they say, anyone can be a father but it takes something more to be a "Dad" - it requires going beyond putting a roof over your head and food on the table.


When you think about it, fathers don't get alot of love. For many (well mostly sons) it seems weird/uncomfortable to get sentimental with Dad. I certainly don't have a super tight relationship with my Dad, at least not in a sentimental way. I would never say "hey Dad I love you" or vice versa. Sure I do, but we are "manly men" and that is an area that is better left unsaid and just "known". Maybe that is bad, but it has always been that way. I'm fine with it and so is he. Besides, I think we both would be super uncomfortable if we had to be all huggy and stuff. My Dad has taught me alot growing up and I can't imagine what it is like for some kids to grow up without a Dad. It must really be hard. I am fortunate enough that my parents remain married to this day and although there were rocky times along the way, I can say my childhood was pretty good. My relationship with my Dad isn't too bad either and I definitely have more fond memories of spending time with him than bad ones.

Things I've Learned From Dad
You taught me how to ride a bike, fish, shoot a basketball, train a dog, drive a stick and even pee standing up like a man (something Mom couldn't really teach well). You also taught me not to be afraid to take a risk and push myself. I can remember riding super fast on a snowmobile with you and feeling perfectly safe. I think I would of failed Algebra back in 7th grade had it not been for you helping me nearly every night with my homework. Even when you scolded me, I knew it was only because you were trying to teach me right from wrong. I watched how you treated women and followed your example in being a gentleman - opening doors, being respectful to what they say, ect. You showed me the proper way to cut a good steak and how to shave my face with the grain. You even let me in on the secret to the biggest and best cannonball pool splashes.

Times Dad Was There For Me
You were at ALL of my basketball games, boxing matches and any other sporting event I was involved in. That meant so much to me and I don't think Dads realize what a big deal that is to a kid. You gave me my first "kid job" helping you and snuck me a couple bucks for cutting even our own lawn (shh, don't tell Mom). You were the first to congratulate me when I finished college. You gave me your good taste in jewelry advice when I bought an engagement ring. You were sympathetic to me when that same girl broke up with me and you even had great advice on that as well as when I was fired for the first time at work. You were visibly shaken and scared, which is something I have never seen, when I received bad news and when I had my motorcycle accident.

I could go on, but I don't want to bore anyone and I think you get the point of this post. Hopefully you too have more fond than bad memories of time spent with your Dad. My father has taught me more thru the years than what I have listed, but the most important thing I have learned from him is just by following his example. He's a good role model and I like to think he had much to do with the way I turned out today, which I think isn't all that bad of a guy. So this Father's Day, the gift I give you won't be anything near as good as what you have given me, but hopefully you will like the surprise I have coming. ;)

Related post 05/08/05 Happy Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment