Friday, September 15, 2006

Postcards From Iraq

I received a postcard in the mail today. From the land I've nicknamed "Hell On Earth" - Iraqi fighting soil. A friend of mine was recently sent over and I've had little correspondence with him, but was excited to see his postcard stuffed between this month's electric bill and a Sharper Image catalog. He seems to be hanging in there. This was a much lighter side of him as compared to the last letter a few months ago. I'm not sure if he is just becoming immune to life there, numb to the surroundings, or if he has adopted a new way of looking at this war. His outlook...keeping his quirky sense of humor even in the most serious of times.

(not actual postcard, but looks very similar)

"I'm having a great time. Wish you were here. Happy you aren't! This looks nothing like the land I'm standing on. I'm in a world of shit. But don't worry bout me. I'll be home safe & praying soon. Give my girl a hug from me, not too tight now. Write me soon, laughs are always needed."

No comments:

Post a Comment