Friday, February 3, 2006

Get Your Game Face On
Steelers, Steelers, Steelers. That is all I've heard the last month or so, even before we made it to the Super Bowl. This city has gone crazy over the Pittsburgh Steelers! Don't get me wrong. I'm pumped for the game too and I love the team, but it's all anyone is talking about, seriously. You turn on the news and it's like who cares if some innocent child got caught in a drive-by shooting, nope, the opening news is Steelers updates. They are still covering the drug busts, drive-bys and all those other wonderful inner city crimes that take place. However, I almost feel like if they reported the shooter was wearing a Big Ben jersey, that the cops would let him go because he is a Steelers fan. Yeah, that is how crazy people are here about the Steelers going to Super Bowl XL.

Our football team has always had a huge following here and even across the US there are Steelers fans in nearly every city you go to. There was even a Steelers pep rally in Japan! Now that is some serious loyalty to the Black & Gold. Of course I will be glued to the TV come Super Bowl Sunday and this year I'm hoping the game is just as good, if not better, than the commercials. We all know that many watch the big game just for the commercials. In the past, the Super Bowl has been a blowout game or it's 2 teams playing that nobody even cares about. This year, I care. I care that my home team is going to be in there once again since their last Super Bowl appearance 10 years ago. I care that they are predicting that Detroit will be made up of 80% Steelers fans. I care that unlike the games during the playoffs, the Steelers are favorites to win it all this year. Odds are that they will finally get that 5th ring - one for the thumb. I definitely care that I have money riding on Pittsburgh to win!

Finally, I care if you aren't a Steelers fan. It's not only mandatory that you watch the game, but it's also mandatory that you route for the right team - Pittsburgh of course. If you aren't a Steelers fan and if you aren't routing for the Steelers this Sunday, then I'm officially banning you from my blog. It's nothing personal. Ok, it is personal. I can't have anyone hanging out at my blog if they aren't backing the best team in the NFL. So let this be your lesson to do the right thing. Cheer on the Black & Gold no matter what happens this Sunday. Be loyal and keep routing for them until the final tick of the clock has concluded.

***UPDATE***
Oh yeah, that fat rodent in Philly, you know Punxsutawney Phil. Well apparently he saw his shadow yesterday on Groundhog Day. However, in Pittsburgh, nobody cared unless Punxsy was waiving a Steelers Terrible Towel. So you see, this city has some serious football fever. Therefore, if you plan on getting struck by lightning or anything, make sure you wear some Steelers attire or nobody is going to give a crap about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment