Friday, February 17, 2006

ADD Suffers Flourish In A High Tech Career

First off, let me say that if you have Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), then chances are you will not read this post. So perhaps someone who loves your hyper little head will read it on your behalf and pass the info down to you...that is if they can get you to sit still long enough to even listen. Now without getting into the whole debate over people (especially children) being wrongly diagnosed with ADD, I'm going to bring up an ADD related topic of another nature - ADD in the tech world. We are all aware that many kids are being medicated for a disease that they simply don't even have. Instead they have behavioral problems that could be and should be corrected thru discipline and time/priority scheduling. It's society's (mostly parents and teachers) way of dealing with unruly youth. Pop a pill and regain control of an out of control situation.

With all the negativity that surrounds ADD, I think it's time someone touches upon a positive aspect of having ADD. This should be a refreshing wakeup call to those who truly have the disease. Those with ADD have found a little hope in life when it comes to job seeking. In general, those who suffer with ADD struggle in the workplace because they simple can't stay focused and on task - a crucial component needed for most careers. When you are unable to handle taking directions and you are distracted more than a 2-year-old, I can see why those with ADD go from job to job or are simply unemployed. However, now there is good news! If you have ADD, research shows that you are best suited for a career in a high tech field. When I first heard this news, I thought "oh great, one day my hiring pool of engineers to pick from will be a bunch of guys that are literally bouncing off the walls". Sometimes it's hard enough to work with someone, but the last thing you want to do is have to babysit a grownup on the job.

Some believe ADD and the technology industry is a natural fit. The constant change of the high tech world can be stressful and troubling for some people, but it’s often stimulating and energizing for others, especially the ADDer. It's a great source of Dopamine hits. In some fields like high tech and marketing, the unique wiring of the ADD brain is a competitive advantage. Even artists and entrepreneurs can benefit from ADD. Many people only see the many problems associated with ADD, while many even avoid getting diagnosed for ADD. The delay in getting diagnosed is that some people portray it as an almost totally pathological condition and they view it as just a weakness. To put it into perspective, here is a list of some advantages of having ADD in the wired world to help people in the industry recognize and develop their ADD related strengths as well as managing their ADD challenges.

***NOTE***
Since I don't have ADD, but I do work in the tech world
and I'm an entrepreneur, I am interested in
seeing how well I fit this check list.

1. The Ability To Hyperfocus - Hours of full engagement and concentration in a task, IF you find it interesting. You can get into the zone and be totally immersed in what you’re doing while the outside world disappears. (Check. When something sparks my interest, I'm definitely immersed in it. It's a passion. My focus doesn't waiver and time seems to fly by.)

2. Rapid Fire Mind - Your brain processes information at hyperspeed. You can do things in 30 minutes on a computer that might take other people hours. Downside, if you’re stuck with an old machine and not enough RAM you’ll be frustrated because it can’t keep up with the speed of your brain. (Check. I do get frustrated if man or machine can't keep up to speed with me when I'm "in a zone" and things are flowing.)

3. Multitasking At Will - Able to run 14 apps at a time and effortlessly switch between each without breaking a sweat. Able to do several projects at a time with ease. (Check. Some are amazed at the things I can do all at one. Being able to work on more than 1 task at a time is a must for my job. There just wouldn't be enough hours in the day to do each thing separately.)

4. High Energy Level - You’re able to keep going on a project if it’s interesting. ADDers are more into creative and entrepreneurial activities than clerical and repetitive ones. 14-hour days? No problem. Adrenaline is my fuel source. (Check. I'm like the Energizer Bunny! Sure I like my playtime, but if I need to work long hours to get something done, I'll do it without a problem. Repetition is my enemy. I would be bored to death in a data entry field. I need to mix it up.)

5. Highly Creative - Able to think outside the box. This comes naturally for ADDers, while others pay thousands of dollars to try and learn this. Since you take in more information than the average person, you’re more likely to view a problem from many different angles. Therefore you come up with more possible solutions to a problem making you an idea generator. (Check. Creativity is a friend of mine. I do things differently, there is no doubt about that. Many times when I share an idea, my perspective is very unique compared to others. Thinking beyond the box is a good thing.)

6. Quick Learner - ADD is mainly a condition of boredom, but you have no trouble paying attention to something if it’s interesting and you will learn fast. Your rapid fire brain + highly creative mind + the ability to hyperfocus equals fast absorption of new information quickly. (Check. Much of what I know is self taught. It's because I wanted to learn, that I had a passion for the information that I took it upon myself to indulge in that area. I consider a successful day to be one that I've learned something.)

7. Stimulus Seeking Brain - A perfect match for the wired world, an under stimulated brain and an over stimulated virtual environment. Being an info junkie can be a good thing. (Check. I had to laugh when I read this. I am an info junkie, sometimes to the extreme which isn't always good. I am guilty of keeping tabs on the latest tech headlines, sometimes to the point of a mild OCD. Technology changes so much that you almost have to stay on top of it like that in order to stay competitive.)

8. Constantly Scanning Your Environment - Allows you to notice more, find information and resource that others miss. Also allows you to see possible problems before they arise and opportunities that others may not see because they have tunnel vision. (Check. I do pick up on things others oversee, giving attention to details.)

9. Great In A Crisis - High energy intense situation? Lots of chaos and change? Sign me up. I thrive on stimulation. We can create order from chaos effortlessly. (Check. I believe one of the reasons I was hired for a government contract is due to the fact that I can keep cool under pressure. When the stakes are high, I can step up my game. It definitely can get intense and you feel the pressure, but that is part of the rush - the high.)

10. Risk Taker - Impulsivity means you’re more willing to take risks and have a bias for action, act now while the opportunity is hot instead of getting into analysis paralysis. Imagine how successful a high tech CEO would be if they didn't take many risks. (Check. If I didn't feel comfortable in taking risks, I would of never went into business for myself. I would never venture out into other avenues as a source of added income. I would never try my hand at anything other than the safe bet. To me that wouldn't be living and that's not the life for me.)

So I'm a little surprised I check off on ALL of these. I suppose I landed myself in the right field. ADD or no ADD, high tech is where I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment