Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Classic Thoughts For Life

In the last year or so I've seem to of developed a new way of looking at life. No matter how busy I get or how ugly things may seem that day, somehow I'm able to take a second to look around and appreciate the simple things in life. The little things we take for granted everyday. The unnoticed beauty. Like the sun rising, setting, the seasons changing, a bird singing or a baby laughing for the first time. Last night as I went to bed, outside my widow the snow was falling. The sky had this amazing red hue to it and when it reflected off the snow, everything looked pink. This morning as I woke up, outside that same window was a fresh blanket of white covering everything in sight. Somewhere under that heavy blanket, I'm able to see theses things. Things that the snow should of engulfed. Perhaps when life engulfs you, you too can lift the blanket and see all the unnoticed beauty that lies beneath. It's my classic thought for life.

Classic is defined as having lasting significance or worth. Enduring. Adhering or conforming to established standards and principles. Formal. Refined and restrained in style. Simple and harmonious. Elegant. A classic symbol. A classic movie. A classic song. Classic words. To remember. To live by. To define our world. To define my life.

"What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see 'em bloom, for me and for you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue, clouds of white
Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

The colors of a rainbow, so pretty, in the sky
Are also on the faces, of people, going by
I see friends shaking hands, sayin', how do you do
They're really sayin', I love you.

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They’ll learn much more, than I’ll never know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world.


***UPDATE***

I have a small confession. When I wrote this post, I wasn't really feeling "wonderful" as my words may of led you to believe. I do in fact appreciate the small wonders in life and I am (for the most part) able to see the good even in the bad. However, because I didn't really feel all "wonderful" at the moment I sat down to write this, is the sentiment still just as beautiful or does it lose it's luster and turn to sh*t? I like to believe that the underlining meaning and it's significance holds true no matter what mood the writer was in when the thought poured out. So there you have it. It's not poetry, but it is reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment