Friday, June 16, 2006

A Rarity, The Open Letter

I rarely talk about him. And I don't know why. I've never posted about him. And I don't know why. I never heard him say he loves me. And I don't know why...but I don't care. I know he does. It shows and that's all that matters. I don't need to hear it verbalized. I see it in his actions. I heard it when Mom told me you brag about me to strangers. It's visible on your face when you smile and joke with me. It's all around me and it's something Hallmark couldn't capture. So instead I write you an open letter this Father's Day. Say it in my words, the best I know how. For me to write. For you to read. For us to later ignore. Some wouldn't understand, but it's how we deal with this sometimes awkward father/son relationship. No need to be all touchy/feely. No need to say you love me back. Just a need for me to recognize the tremendous impact you've had on my life. Helping the footed PJ boy grow-up to be an "amazing young man" - your words, not mine. (Mom never could keep a secret.)

Happy Dad's Day.

Related post from this past Mother's Day...
05/12/06 More Than A Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment