Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I’m No Hemingway, But...

In college, I read "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare", not an easy task. And upon completion, I can't say I'm a fan of the great Shakespeare. I was never asked to study Hemingway. So perhaps the reason he isn’t a favorite of mine either is because I am ignorant to most of his work. However, despite that fact, I am aware that Ernest Hemingway is considered the most influential writer of the last century. So it comes as no surprise that his words continue to be quoted even today. He also continues to inspire writers both young and old.

It’s not a fancy quote. It lacks luster and shine. It’s not even that poetic, but yet conveys the message perfectly.

"My aim is to put down on paper, what I see and what I feel, in the best and simplest way." - Ernest Hemingway

It’s how I write, or at least strive to. And I couldn’t have said it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment