Friday, December 28, 2007

Granny’s Wisdom Tells It Like It Is

Let me paint the scenario for you. It’s Christmas Day. We are at my parent’s house and its cocktail hour. Martinis are severed. Everyone in the family drinks up, including my 88-year-old Grandmother. After a furious shaking, Grandma pours my drink and hands me my glass. I give the toast. “Cheers. To family, friends and getting shit faced.” (Because nothing is classier than getting wasted infront of your Mother and Grandmother. )

My Grandmother turns and asks me…“Do you like it, dear?”

I take a sip, nod my head and say…“It’s alright. A little more Vermouth maybe.”

Her reply, absolutely priceless! She places her hand ontop of my forearm, as if to comfort me and draw me into her. I can feel she is about to say something important. Words I am not to forget. She has grabbed my full attention, then turns to me with a very serious face and passes on the best advice a Grandma can give her grandson.

“I always say, it doesn’t matter if it tastes good, as long as it makes you feel happy.”

Granny is a lush and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment