Thursday, December 23, 2010

Black Jet Bakery Pop-Up at Workshop SF

As everyone was bustling around Union Square in San Francisco looking for last-minute gifts, I started my holiday break by, what else?, hunting down food goods. And that's how I ended up north of the Panhandle at Workshop SF to check out the Black Jet Bakery Pie Sale.

Black Jet Bakery has a commercial kitchen but doesn't have a retail space yet, so the owners have been holding these pop-ups to sell their pies. It was great timing for those looking for a ready-made dessert for Christmas eve dinner, with flavors like chocolate pecan, apple cranberry, and my favorite name for a flavor ... "boozy apricot."


There also were several holiday-flavored cookies like gingerbread. I ended up getting a couple of the apricot sammies, which looked really luxurious with the apricot filling.

Black Jet is also known for its home-made pop tarts. I had read that one of the most popular flavors is jalapeno cream cheese. Oh man, doesn't that sound good? Well, even though I had gotten to the pie sale early on, the jalapeno cream cheese pop tarts were already sold out. Whaaaat?? That's when I learned a very important word: pre-order.

Oh well, I ended up getting a pluot pop tart, which gave me the memories of the summer fruit on this winter day. The pop tart is actually like eating a folded over pie crust.

The Workshop SF space is also interesting. I'd never heard of them, but it's a spot with a lot of do-it-yourself classes and crafts for sale by the DIYers.

I didn't end up getting any of Black Jet pies, which sold for $20 each, just because that's a lot for one person. When I left, I realized they were selling "pies in the jar," and I should have asked about them (none were on display) because I bet that would have been perfect for me.

Black Jet Bakery hopes to have a retail space by fall 2011. For now, just keep your ears out for another one of their pop-ups, and remember to pre-order the jalapeno cream cheese pop tart. That's my tip to you for this holiday season. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment