Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Waffle Mania Truck Finds a Hole in the Wall

One of the popular trucks at some of the Bay Area’s farmers markets is Waffle Mania, selling crunchy-chewy Belgian-style waffles. I’d sometimes get them at the Saturday market in Oakland’s Grand Lake neighborhood.

Now if you’re in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood, you can get one of these golden-brown treats from the newly opened Waffle Mania stand (or maybe it’s more of a kiosk). The one-man operation is right next door to Show Dogs, the gourmet hot dog eatery.

One weekend when I was walking from the Civic Center, I saw the stand and decided to get a waffle. They sell for about $3.50 and you can add 50 cents for toppings like nutella, powdered sugar, or cinnamon.

The waffle stand is run by the son of one of Waffle Mania’s partners. Right now it is slowly ramping up, so they don’t have very long hours, working maybe 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays and shorter hours on Saturdays if he sells out.

It’s smart that they’re next door to Show Dogs because I can’t imagine many of the people walking in that area willing to pay that much for a waffle, although a few people gave me some stares as I walked down Market Street with my waffle smothered with Nutella. Or maybe it was because of all the Nutella smeared around the edge of my mouth.

Waffle Mania, 1022 Market St., San Francisco. Opened Tues. to Sat. 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cash only.

No comments:

Post a Comment