Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Throwing Yourself At Men, Literally

Ahh, the single life. The art of being a bachelor or bachelorette. It’s all about meeting someone. Flirting. Dating. Hooking up. Breaking up. And maybe, just maybe, somewhere in there you will find yourself in a real relationship and possibly fall in love. I’ve been on both ends, approaching a woman and having a woman approach me. I can’t say I prefer one way over another, but I can say that I do enjoy a woman making the first move. It’s refreshing. It takes the pressure off. Quite simply, it’s very flattering. Who wouldn’t enjoy that? But there is a line that needs drawn. There is a difference between hitting on someone and being a super freak! Perfect example, "naked photo girl", that is what my friends and I refer to her as.

Notice the hands stuffed firmly in his pockets. This dude clearly isn’t interested in catching her.
Be cautious when throwing yourself at men. A warm reception is never guaranteed.

She’s the girl who a few years ago made very innocent, nondescript conversation with me in a club. Our chit-chat only lasted a couple minutes, but as I went to leave, she ran her hand down my arm and said it was nice meeting me. Perfectly normal behavior, right? Well next thing I know she stuffs something into the front pocket of my jeans and without a word, she turns around and walks away. At first I think it’s probably her number, but the paper feels pokey (insert your own pokey pants joke here). Then I think it’s a condom, but that seems odd because why would she give me that while departing? I decide to reach in my pocket and see what it is. I find myself pulling out a naked photo of her in a very graphic and suggestive position. On the back of the photo, written with a Sharpie, is her name and number. I feel somewhat turned on, but at the same time grossed out. Think about it. I’m sure I’m not the first guy she’s done this to. Most people don’t carry around naked photos of themselves and hand them out at will, unless maybe you are a hooker or an aspiring hooker? Or maybe she was an undercover cop throwing out the bait and waiting for a bite. Whatever the case may be, her method of coming on to me was just a tad over forward. I never called her, but I did keep the photo.

So how far would you go to get the attention of a certain guy? Would you be subtle and just make eye contact while shooting him a sexy smile across a crowded room? Or would you show no restraint and no shame and literally throw yourself at him? Throw yourself at him so strongly that he has no other choice than to open his arms and accept your advances...or be pummeled to the floor.

Meet Lilly McElroy, an artist who takes photographs of herself throwing herself at men. She takes things literally and can't help being clumsy. As a performative photographer, McElroy seems to have a lot of fun making refreshingly spontaneous pictures. The work she produces is a cross between physical comedy and earnest confessional. She throws her whole body into it and often leads with her chest. There are videos of her hugging strangers without asking their permission and photographs of her literally throwing herself at men. The gestures that Lilly performs for the camera are simultaneously loving and cruel. They are an attempt to discuss the desire and difficulty involved in making a connection. When asked to explain the procedure behind her photographs, this is what she said...

"I started the project by placing an ad on Craigslist looking for men who would meet me at bars blind date style and let me literally throw myself at them. This worked fairly well, but limited the number of photos I could take. Now, I go to bars with a friend/photographer and approach men who are physically larger than I am. I ask them if I can literally throw myself at them. If they say yes, I have myself photographed doing it and buy them a drink afterwards. If it seems like they want to hang out, I'll have a drink as well. Sometimes we talk about the project and sometimes we just chat. I don't have a specific set up for the photos. I just want them to look as much like snap shots or party pics as possible."

The photographs she produces while trying to interact, acknowledge the possibility of failure – that someone might not catch her, that a connection might not be made. It is that possibility that keeps things interesting. In the end, Lilly wants to make the viewer laugh, but she wants them to understand there is more at stake, that everyone is implicated including her.

Apart from all the heavy gender-socio-dynamo analysis these images inspire, they're also just fun to look at. See for yourself at www.LillyMcElroy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment