Friday, October 6, 2006

The Adventures Of Super Happy Fun Guy

Beyond this wall there is a volcano just waiting to erupt. She's angry. Too angry for me. An angry I don't really understand. Angry that is caused by sources unknown to me. An angry that I dare not speak of. An angry that makes her co-workers avoid her. An angry I don't want to touch, but yet it's probably what she needs the most. At work, I'm usually emersed in what I am doing. I get into a zone. I'm focused and not easily distracted. Although today, somehow I felt "the angry". Literally. My cubicle wall could no longer absorb the anger. I could feel her erupting. She was typing/pounding on her keyboard so hard that it was actually causing my desk on the other side to shake with fear! The vibrations distracted me. It made me wonder, why so angry? It made me ask..."do you need a hug?"

I peered over the wall and asked the question. I offered some softness to replace her hard outer shell. She was startled. Super Happy Fun Guy meets Super Angry Chick. Normally people don't talk to her. They fear her. They are afraid of her anger. Perhaps she is misunderstood. Perhaps she just needs something warm in her life. Like a hug. So I asked. So I offered. It was a joke. I was seriously joking. She may of just wanted me to be serious? Next time I feel her erupting, I won't ask if she needs a hug. I will just do it. Like a joke. But nobody will be laughing.

"Why are you so happy?" She asks in a tone that is somewhat sarcastic, somewhat curious. "Because it's Friday", I reply. It's as simple as that. That's it. And that's all. Because it's Friday.

When the big things in life get you down, sometimes you need to let the little things put that smile on your face. A Friday helps. And a hug...a hug never hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment